BMJ Best Practice is a generalist point of care tool particularly useful for medical residents, multidisciplinary teams, specialists working outside of their specialty, and General Internal Medicine doctors. It is uniquely structured around the patient consultation with advice on symptom evaluation, test ordering, and treatment approach.
Since the launch of BMJ Best Practice in 2009, we have supported thousands of customers and users worldwide to improve clinical decision making and ultimately patient outcomes.
This clinical decision support tool is particularly useful for medical students, junior doctors, multidisciplinary team members (such as nurses and pharmacists), specialists working outside of their specialty, and primary care practitioners.
BMJ Best Practice includes 1000+ evidence-based condition and symptom topics across 32 clinical specialties which provide the user with guidance throughout the full patient journey, from determining diagnosis and treatment approach to follow up support.
Our team of experts
Our in-house evidence team collaborates with over 1,600 international expert authors and over 2,500 peer reviewers to ensure that users always have the latest evidence-based information that is practical for the clinical setting.
BMJ Best Practice also offers
- an award-winning app to provide both online and offline access
- 500+ clinical calculators which are available both online and offline to provide quick criteria and calculation support to health professionals
- access to over 400 evidence-based patient leaflets. The leaflets provide concise, accessible summaries to reassure patients and carers and help them to make informed, shared decisions with healthcare professionals
- visual alerts to practice-changing evidence. A summary of the most recent updates is provided on the homepage and within relevant topics. Links to new evidence or guidelines are provided.
- multimedia content such as 5000+ images and videos which provide animated demonstrations of common procedures such as central venous catheter insertion
- differential diagnoses, unique treatment algorithms and step-by-step guidance on treatment to support real-life clinical demands
- automatic CME/CPD activity tracking on the website and app enables users to demonstrate continuous improvement and print personalized certificates to demonstrate their learning
- an EBM Toolkit, which provides the fundamentals to learn, practice, and discuss evidence-based medicine
- Our unique Evidence Tables give users quick answers to critical evidence questions supporting faster and better decision making. Based on GRADE - the Tables provide evidence evaluations and recommendations in a format that’s easy to digest and action - with clear links to the underlying evidence.
- international coverage of guidelines, through our unique partnership with Cochrane Clinical Answers, that helps to clearly differentiate opinion from evidence - enabling confident evidence-based decision-making with patients
- >65,000 references embedded in the text as popups and in a separate reference list for each topic
- whole topic PDF downloads to support students and practising healthcare professionals who want to annotate a topic