Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Influenza (flu). November 2019 [internet publication].
Grohskopf LA, Alyanak E, Broder KR, et al. Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices - United States, 2019-20 Influenza Season. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2019 Aug 23;68(3):1-21.
1. Brankston G, Gitterman L, Hirji Z, et al. Transmission of influenza A in human beings. Lancet Infect Dis. 2007 Apr;7(4):257-65.
2. Uyeki TM, Bernstein HH, Bradley JS, et al. Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America: 2018 update on diagnosis, treatment, chemoprophylaxis, and institutional outbreak management of seasonal influenza. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Mar 5;68(6):e1-47.
3. Neuzil KM, Wright PF, Mitchel EF Jr, et al. The burden of influenza illness in children with asthma and other chronic medical conditions. J Pediatr. 2000 Dec;137(6):856-64.
4. Martin CM, Kunin CM, Gottlieb LS, et al. Asian influenza A in Boston, 1957-1958. Arch Intern Med. 1959 Apr;103(4):515-31.
5. Nicholson K, Wood JM, Zambon M, et al. Influenza. Lancet. 2003 Nov 22;362(9397):1733-45.
6. Zimmer SM, Burke DS. Historical perspective - Emergence of influenza A (H1N1) viruses. N Engl J Med. 2009 Jul 16;361(3):279-85.
7. Australian Government Department of Health. Australian Influenza Surveillance Report. No. 12, 2017. October 2017
8. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Reconstruction of the 1918 influenza pandemic virus. July 2014 [internet publication].
9. Stephenson I, Zambon M. The epidemiology of influenza. Occup Med (Lond). 2002 Aug;52(5):241-7.
10. Klimov A, Rocha E, Hayden FG, et al. Prolonged shedding of amantadine-resistant influenzae A viruses by immunodeficient patients: detection by polymerase chain reaction-restriction analysis. J Infect Dis. 1995 Nov;172(5):1352-5.
11. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Estimates of deaths associated with seasonal influenza - United States, 1976-2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010 Aug 27;59(33):1057-62.
12. Kostova D, Reed C, Finelli L, et al. Influenza illness and hospitalizations averted by influenza vaccination in the United States, 2005-2011. PLoS One. 2013 Jun 19;8(6):e6631.
13. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Influenza (flu). November 2019 [internet publication].
14. Committee On infectious Diseases. Recommendations for prevention and control of influenza in children, 2019-2020. Pediatrics. 2019 Oct; 144(4): e20192478.
15. Hutchinson AF, Ghimire AK, Thompson MA, et al. A community-based, time-matched, case-control study of respiratory viruses and exacerbations of COPD. Respir Med. 2007 Dec;101(12):2472-81.
16. Kopsaftis Z, Wood-Baker R, Poole P. Influenza vaccine for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Jun 26;6:CD002733.
17. Bekkat-Berkani R, Wilkinson T, Buchy P, et al. Seasonal influenza vaccination in patients with COPD: a systematic literature review. BMC Pulm Med. 2017 May 3;17(1):79.
18. Nichol KL, Nordin J, Mullooly J, et al. Influenza vaccination and reduction in hospitalizations for cardiac disease and stroke among the elderly. N Engl J Med. 2003 Apr 3;348(14):1322-32.
19. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for vaccinating kidney dialysis patients and patients with chronic kidney disease. December 2012 [internet publication].
20. Hak E, Nordin J, Wei F, et al. Influence of high-risk medical conditions on the effectiveness of influenza vaccination among elderly members of 3 large managed-care organizations. Clin Infect Dis. 2002 Aug 15;35(4):370-7.
21. Dos Santos G, Tahrat H, Bekkat-Berkani R. Immunogenicity, safety, and effectiveness of seasonal influenza vaccination in patients with diabetes mellitus: asystematic review. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2018;14(8):1853-66.
22. Orzeck EA, Shi N, Blumentals WA. Oseltamivir and the risk of influenza-related complications and hospitalizations in patients with diabetes. Clin Ther. 2007 Oct;29(10):2246-55.
23. Mehta SR, Afenyi-Annan A, Byrns PJ, et al. Opportunities to improve outcomes in sickle cell disease. Am Fam Physician. 2006 Jul 15;74(2):303-10.
24. Kim YJ, Boeckh M, Englund JA. Community respiratory virus infections in immunocompromised patients: hematopoietic stem cell and solid organ transplant recipients, and individuals with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2007 Apr;28(2):222-42.
25. Zhang W, Sun H, Atiquzzaman M, et al. Influenza vaccination for HIV-positive people: Systematic review and network meta-analysis. Vaccine. 2018 Jun 27;36(28):4077-86.
26. Danziger-Isakov L, Kumar D, AST ID Community of Practice. Vaccination of solid organ transplant candidates and recipients: Guidelines from the American society of transplantation infectious diseases community of practice. Clin Transplant. 2019 Sep;33(9):e13563.
27. Beck CR, McKenzie BC, Hashim AB, et al. Influenza vaccination for immunocompromised patients: systematic review and meta-analysis from a public health policy perspective. PLoS One. 2011;6(12):e29249.
28. McKittrick N, Frank I, Jacobson JM, et al. Improved immunogenicity with high-dose seasonal influenza vaccine in HIV-infected persons: a single-center, parallel, randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2013 Jan 1;158(1):19-26.
29. Madhi SA, Cutland CL, Kuwanda L, et al.; Maternal Flu Trial (Matflu) Team. Influenza vaccination of pregnant women and protection of their infants. N Engl J Med. 2005 Oct 21;54(41):1050-2.
30. Kumar D, Campbell P, Hoschler K, et al. Randomized controlled trial of adjuvanted versus nonadjuvanted influenza vaccine in kidney transplant recipients. Transplantation. 2016 Mar;100(3):662-9.
31. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Recommendations for obstetric health care providers related to use of antiviral medications in the treatment and prevention of influenza. Feb 2019 [internet publication].
32. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Influenza vaccination in pregnancy: practices among obstetrician-gynecologists - United States, 2003-04 influenza season. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005 Oct 21;54(41):1050-2.
33. Nunes MC, Aqil AR, Omer SB, Madhi SA. The effects of influenza vaccination during pregnancy on birth outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Perinatol. 2016 Sep;33(11):1104-14.
34. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Influenza vaccination during pregnancy. ACOG Committee Opinion No. 732. Obstet Gynecol. 2018 Apr;131(4):e109-14.
35. Polyzos KA, Konstantelias AA, Pitsa CE, et al. Maternal influenza vaccination and risk for congenital malformations: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Nov;126(5):1075-84.
36. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Immunization of health-care personnel: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2011 Nov 25;60(RR-7):1-45.
37. Bernstein HH, Starke JR; American Academy of Pediatrics; et al. Policy statement - recommendation for mandatory influenza immunization of all health care personnel. Pediatrics. 2010 Oct;126(4):809-15.
38. Jackson LA, Gaglani MJ, Keyserling HL, et al. Safety, efficacy, and immunogenicity of an inactivated influenza vaccine in healthy adults: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial over two influenza seasons. BMC Infect Dis. 2010 Mar 17;10:71.
39. Beyer WE, Nauta JJ, Palache AM, et al. Immunogenicity and safety of inactivated influenza vaccines in primed populations: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Vaccine. 2011 Aug 5;29(34):5785-92.
40. Demicheli V, Jefferson T, Ferroni E, et al Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Feb 1;2:CD001269.
41. Bitterman R, Eliakim-Raz N, Vinograd I, et al. Influenza vaccines in immunosuppressed adults with cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Feb 1;2:CD008983.
42. Jefferson T, Rivetti A, Di Pietrantonj C, Demicheli V. Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Feb 1;2:CD004879.
43. Demicheli V, Jefferson T, Di Pietrantonj C, et al. Vaccines for preventing influenza in the elderly. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Feb 1;2:CD004876.
44. Rondy M, El Omeiri N, Thompson MG, et al. Effectiveness of influenza vaccines in preventing severe influenza illness among adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis of test-negative design case-control studies. J Infect. 2017 Nov;75(5):381-394.
45. Vasileiou E, Sheikh A, Butler C, et al. Effectiveness of influenza vaccines in asthma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Oct 15;65(8):1388-1395.
46. Grohskopf LA, Alyanak E, Broder KR, et al. Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices - United States, 2019-20 Influenza Season. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2019 Aug 23;68(3):1-21.
47. Englund JA, Walter E, Black S, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine in infants: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2010 Feb;29(2):105-10.
48. Robinson CL, Bernstein H, Romero JR, et al. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommended immunization schedule for children and adolescents aged 18 years or younger - United States, 2019. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019 Feb 8;68(5):112-114.
49. Sukumaran L, McCarthy NL, Kharbanda EO, et al. Infant hospitalizations and mortality after maternal vaccination. Pediatrics. 2018 Feb 20. pii: e20173310.
50. Thompson MG, Kwong JC, Regan AK, et al; PREVENT Workgroup. Influenza vaccine effectiveness in preventing influenza-associated hospitalizations during pregnancy: a multi-country retrospective test negative design study, 2010-2016. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Oct 11. [Epub ahead of print].
51. Nunes MC, Madhi SA. Influenza vaccination during pregnancy for prevention of influenza confirmed illness in the infants: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2017 Mar 4;14(3):758-66.
52. World Health Organization. Recommended composition of influenza virus vaccines for use in the 2019-2020 northern hemisphere influenza season. March 2019 [internet publication].
53. Greenhawt M, Turner PJ, Kelso JM. Administration of influenza vaccines to egg allergic recipients: a practice parameter update 2017. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2018 Jan;120(1):49-52.
54. Kelso JM, Greenhawt MJ, Li JT, et al. Adverse reactions to vaccines practice parameter 2012 update. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012 Jul;130(1):25-43.
55. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cell-based flu vaccines. Oct 2019 [internet publication].
56. European Medicines Agency. Flucelvax tetra. Oct 2018 [internet publication].
57. Fukuda K, Kieny MP. Different approaches to influenza vaccination. N Engl J Med. 2006 Dec 14;355(24):2586-7.
58. Wilde JA, McMillan JA, Serwint J, et al. Effectiveness of influenza vaccine in health care professionals: a randomized trial. JAMA. 1999 Mar 10;281(10):908-13.
59. Bridges CB, Thompson WW, Meltzer MI, et al. Effectiveness and cost-benefit of influenza vaccination of healthy working adults: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2000 Oct 4;284(13):1655-63.
60. Nichol KL, Mendelman PM, Mallon KP, et al. Effectiveness of live, attenuated intranasal influenza virus vaccine in healthy, working adults: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 1999 Jul 14;282(2):137-44.
61. Edwards KM, Dupont WD, Westrich MK, et al. A randomized controlled trial of cold-adapted and inactivated vaccines for the prevention of influenza A disease. J Infect Dis. 1994 Jan;169(1):68-76.
62. Ohmit SE, Victor JC, Rotthoff JR, et al. Prevention of antigenically drifted influenza by inactivated and live attenuated vaccines. N Engl J Med. 2006 Dec 14;355(24):2513-22.
63. DiazGranados CA, Denis M, Plotkin S. Seasonal influenza vaccine efficacy and its determinants in children and non-elderly adults: a systematic review with meta-analyses of controlled trials. Vaccine. 2012 Dec 17;31(1):49-57.
64. Manzoli L, Ioannidis JP, Flacco ME, et al. Effectiveness and harms of seasonal and pandemic influenza vaccines in children, adults and elderly: a critical review and re-analysis of 15 meta-analyses. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2012 Jul;8(7):851-62.
65. Osterholm MT, Kelley NS, Sommer A, et al. Efficacy and effectiveness of influenza vaccines: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2012 Jan;12(1):36-44.
66. Monto AS, Rotthoff J, Teich E, et al. Detection and control of outbreaks in well-vaccinated nursing home populations. Clin Infect Dis. 2004 Aug 15;39(4):459-64.
67. Nichol KL, Nordin JD, Nelson DB, et al. Effectiveness of influenza vaccine in the community-dwelling elderly. N Engl J Med. 2007 Oct 4;357(14):1373-81.
68. De Villiers PJ, Steele AD, Hiemstra LA, et al. Efficacy and safety of a live attenuated influenza vaccine in adults 60 years of age and older. Vaccine. 2009 Dec 10;28(1):228-34.
69. Jefferson T, Rivetti D, Rivetti A, et al. Efficacy and effectiveness of influenza vaccines in elderly people: a systematic review. Lancet. 2005 Oct 1;366(9492):1165-74.
70. Armstrong BG, Mangtani P, Fletcher A, et al. Effect of influenza vaccination on excess deaths occurring during periods of high circulation of influenza: cohort study in elderly people. BMJ. 2004 Sep 18;329(7467):660.
71. Cools HJ, Gussekloo J, Remmerswaal JE, et al. Benefits of increasing the dose of influenza vaccine in residents of long-term care facilities: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. J Med Virol. 2009 May;81(5):908-14.
72. DiazGranados CA, Dunning AJ, Kimmel M, et al. Efficacy of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccine in older adults. N Engl J Med. 2014 Aug 14;371(7):635-45.
73. Nace DA, Lin CJ, Ross TM, et al. Randomized, controlled trial of high-dose influenza vaccine among frail residents of long-term care facilities. J Infect Dis. 2015 Jun 15;211(12):1915-24.
74. Lee JKH, Lam GKL, Shin T, et al. Efficacy and effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccination for older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2018 May 16;17(5):435-43.
75. Samson SI, Leventhal PS, Salamand C, et al. Immunogenicity of high-dose trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2019 Feb 13;18(3):295-308.
76. Lehmann HC, Hartung HP, Kieseier BC, et al. Guillain-Barré syndrome after exposure to influenza virus. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010 Sep;10(9):643-51.
77. Lasky T, Terracciano GJ, Magder L, et al. The Guillain-Barré syndrome and the 1992-1993 and 1993-1994 influenza vaccines. N Engl J Med. 1998 Dec 17;339(25):1797-802.
78. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Influenza signs and symptoms and the role of laboratory diagnostics. October 2016 [internet publication].
79. Call SA, Vollenweider MA, Hornung CA, et al. Does this patient have influenza? JAMA. 2005 Feb 23;293(8):987-97.
80. Hayden FG, Fritz R, Lobo MC, et al. Local and systemic cytokine responses during experimental human influenza A virus infection. Relation to symptom formation and host defense. J Clin Invest. 1998 Feb 1;101(3):643-9.
81. Monto AS, Gravenstein S, Elliott M, et al. Clinical signs and symptoms predicting influenza infection. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Nov 27;160(21):3243-7.
82. Nicholson KG, Kent J, Hammersley V, et al. Acute viral infections of upper respiratory tract in elderly people living in the community: comparative, prospective, population based study of disease burden. BMJ. 1997 Oct 25;315(7115):1060-4.
83. Vesikari T, Beran J, Durviaux S, et al. Use of real-time polymerase chain reaction (rtPCR) as a diagnostic tool for influenza infection in a vaccine efficacy trial. J Clin Virol. 2012 Jan;53(1):22-8.
84. Egilmezer E, Walker GJ, Bakthavathsalam P, et al. Systematic review of the impact of point-of-care testing for influenza on the outcomes of patients with acute respiratory tract infection. Rev Med Virol. 2018 Sep;28(5):e1995.
85. Huang HS, Tsai CL, Chang J, et al. Multiplex PCR system for the rapid diagnosis of respiratory virus infection: systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2017 Oct;24(10):1055-63.
86. Glezen WP, Taber LH, Frank AL, et al. Influenza virus infections in infants. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1997 Nov;16(11):1065-8.
87. Peltola V, Ziegler T, Ruuskanen O. Influenza A and B virus infections in children. Clin Infect Dis. 2003 Feb 1;36(3):299-305.
88. Glezen WP. Influenza viruses. In: Feigin RD, Cherry JD, Demmler GJ, et al., eds. Textbook of pediatric infectious diseases. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders; 2004:2252-69.
89. Govaert TM, Dinant GJ, Aretz K, et al. The predictive value of influenza symptomatology in elderly people. Fam Pract. 1998 Feb;15(1):16-22.
90. Walsh EE, Cox C, Falsey AR. Clinical features of influenza A virus infection in older hospitalized persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002 Sep;50(9):1498-503.
91. Neuzil KM, O'Connor TZ, Gorse GJ, et al. Recognizing influenza in older patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease who have received influenza vaccine. Clin Infect Dis. 2003 Jan 15;36(2):169-74.
92. Ohmit SE, Monto AS. Symptomatic predictors of influenza virus positivity in children during the influenza season. Clin Infect Dis. 2006 Sep 1;43(5):564-8.
93. Simonsen L. The global impact of influenza on morbidity and mortality. Vaccine. 1999;17(suppl 1):S3-10.
94. Miller JM, Binnicker MJ, Campbell S, et al. A guide to utilization of the microbiology laboratory for diagnosis of infectious diseases: 2018 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the American Society for Microbiology. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Aug 31;67(6):e1-94.
95. Merckx J, Wali R, Schiller I, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of novel and traditional rapid tests for influenza infection compared with reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2017 Sep 19;167(6):394-409.
96. Bruning AHL, Leeflang MMG, Vos JMBW, et al. Rapid tests for influenza, respiratory syncytial virus, and other respiratory viruses: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Sep 15;65(6):1026-32.
97. Petrozzino JJ, Smith C, Atkinson MJ. Rapid diagnostic testing for seasonal influenza: an evidence-based review and comparison with unaided clinical diagnosis. J Emerg Med. 2010 Oct;39(4):476-490.
98. Marrie TJ. Community-acquired pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 1994 Apr;18(4):501-13.
99. Shay DK, Holman RC, Newman RD, et al. Bronchiolitis-associated hospitalizations among US children, 1980-1996. JAMA. 1999 Oct 20;282(15):1440-6.
100. Wald TG, Miller BA, Shult P, et al. Can respiratory syncytial virus and influenza A be distinguished clinically in institutionalized older persons? J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995 Feb;43(2):170-4.
101. Rose EB, Wheatley A, Langley G, et al. Respiratory syncytial virus seasonality - United States, 2014-2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018 Jan 19;67(2):71-6.
102. American Academy of Pediatrics. Respiratory syncytial virus. In: Pickering LK, ed. Red book: 2006 report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases, 27th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2006:561.
103. Hall CB. Respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza virus. N Engl J Med. 2001 Jun 21;344(25):1917-28.
104. Wendt CH, Hertz MI. Respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza virus infections in the immunocompromised host. Semin Respir Infect. 1995 Dec;10(4):224-31.
105. Denny FW, Clyde WA Jr. Acute lower respiratory tract infections in nonhospitalized children. J Pediatr. 1986 May;108(5 Pt 1):635-46.
106. Frank AL, Couch RB, Griffis CA, et al. Comparison of different tissue cultures for isolation and quantitation of influenza and parainfluenza viruses. J Clin Microbiol. 1979 Jul;10(1):32-6.
107. Ray CG, Minnich LL. Efficiency of immunofluorescence for rapid detection of common respiratory viruses. J Clin Microbiol. 1987 Feb;25(2):355-7.
108. Osiowy C. Direct detection of respiratory syncytial virus, parainfluenza virus, and adenovirus in clinical respiratory specimens by a multiplex reverse transcription-PCR assay. J Clin Microbiol. 1998 Nov;36(11):3149-54.
109. Fiore AE, Fry A, Shay D, et al. Antiviral agents for the treatment and chemoprophylaxis of influenza: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2011 Jan 21;60(1):1-24.
110. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Oseltamivir, amantadine (review) and zanamivir for the prophylaxis of influenza. September 2008 [internet publication].
111. Cox NJ, Fukuda K. Influenza. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 1998 Mar;12(1):27-38.
112. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Influenza antiviral medications: summary for clinicians. November 2019 [internet publication].
113. Public Health England. Influenza: treatment and prophylaxis using anti-viral agents. October 2017 [internet publication].
114. Jefferson T, Jones M, Doshi P, et al. Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treating influenza in healthy adults: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2009 Dec 8;339:b5106.
115. Shun-Shin M, Thompson M, Heneghan C, et al. Neuraminidase inhibitors for treatment and prophylaxis of influenza in children: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ. 2009 Aug 10;339:b3172.
116. Doll MK, Winters N, Boikos C, et al. Safety and effectiveness of neuraminidase inhibitors for influenza treatment, prophylaxis, and outbreak control: a systematic review of systematic reviews and/or meta-analyses. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2017 Nov 1;72(11):2990-3007.
117. Venkatesan S, Myles PR, Leonardi-Bee J, et al. Impact of outpatient neuraminidase inhibitor treatment in patients infected with influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 at high risk of hospitalization: an individual participant data metaanalysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 May 15;64(10):1328-34.
118. Jackson RJ, Cooper KL, Tappenden P, et al. Oseltamivir, zanamivir and amantadine in the prevention of influenza: a systematic review. J Infect. 2011 Jan;62(1):14-25.
119. Jefferson T, Jones MA, Doshi P, et al. Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treating influenza in healthy adults and children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;(4):CD008965.
120. Heneghan CJ, Onakpoya I, Thompson M, et al. Zanamivir for influenza in adults and children: systematic review of clinical study reports and summary of regulatory comments. BMJ. 2014 Apr 9;348:g2547.
121. Jefferson T, Jones M, Doshi P, et al. Oseltamivir for influenza in adults and children: systematic review of clinical study reports and summary of regulatory comments. BMJ. 2014 Apr 9;348:g2545.
122. Cohen D. Complications: tracking down the data on oseltamivir. BMJ. 2009 Dec 8;339:b5387.
123. Doshi P. Neuraminidase inhibitors - the story behind the Cochrane review. BMJ. 2009 Dec 8;339:b5164.
124. Jefferson T, Doshi P, Thompson M, et al. Ensuring safe and effective drugs: who can do what it takes? BMJ. 2011 Jan 11;342:c7258.
125. Dobson J, Whitley RJ, Pocock S, et al. Oseltamivir treatment for influenza in adults: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Lancet. 2015 May 2;385(9979):1729-37.
126. Uyeki T. Antiviral treatment for patients hospitalized with 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1). N Engl J Med. 2009 Dec 3;361(23):e110.
127. Wang K, Shun-Shin M, Gill P, et al. Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treating influenza in children (published trials only). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;(1):CD002744.
128. Stiver G. The treatment of influenza with antiviral drugs. CMAJ. 2003 Jan 7;168(1):49-56.
129. Heinonen S, Silvennoinen H, Lehtinen P, et al. Early oseltamivir treatment of influenza in children 1-3 years of age: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Oct 15;51(8):887-94.
130. US Food and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA updates warnings for oral and injectable fluoroquinolone antibiotics due to disabling side effects. July 2016 [internet publication].
131. European Medicines Agency. Quinolone- and fluoroquinolone-containing medicinal products. March 2019 [internet publication].
132. US Food and Drug Administration. FDA reinforces safety information about serious low blood sugar levels and mental health side effects with fluoroquinolone antibiotics; requires label changes. July 2018 [internet publication].
133. US Food and Drug Administration. FDA warns about increased risk of ruptures or tears in the aorta blood vessel with fluoroquinolone antibiotics in certain patients. December 2018 [internet publication].
134. Dowell SF, Butler JC, Giebink GS, et al. Acute otitis media: management and surveillance in an era of pneumococcal resistance - a report from the Drug-resistant Streptococcus Pneumoniae Therapeutic Working Group. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1999 Jan;18(1):1-9.
135. Jefferson T, Demicheli V, Rivetti D, et al. Antivirals for influenza in healthy adults: systematic review. Lancet. 2006 Jan 28;367(9507):303-13.
136. Cooper NJ, Sutton AJ, Abrams KR, et al. Effectiveness of neuraminidase inhibitors in treatment and prevention of influenza A and B: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials. BMJ. 2003 Jun 7;326(7401):1235.
137. Lieberthal AS, Carroll AE, Chonmaitree T, et al. The diagnosis and management of acute otitis media. Pediatrics. 2013 Feb 25;131(3):e964-99.
138. McAllister L, Anderson J, Werth K, et al. Needle-free jet injection for administration of influenza vaccine: a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2014 Aug 23;384(9944):674-81.
139. Moscona A. Medical management of influenza infection. Annu Rev Med. 2008 Feb;59:397-413.
140. Ilyushina NA, Hoffmann E, Salomon R, et al. Amantadine-oseltamivir combination therapy for H5N1 influenza virus infection in mice. Antivir Ther. 2007;12(3):363-70.
141. Smee DF, Hurst BL, Wong MH, et al. Effects of the combination of favipiravir (T-705) and oseltamivir on influenza A virus infections in mice. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010 Jan;54(1):126-33.
142. Ilyushina NA, Bovin NV, Webster RG, et al. Combination chemotherapy, a potential strategy for reducing the emergence of drug-resistant influenza A variants. Antiviral Res. 2006 Jul;70(3):121-31.
143. Duval X, van der Werf S, Blanchon T, et al. Efficacy of oseltamivir-zanamivir combination compared to each monotherapy for seasonal influenza: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. PLoS Med. 2010 Nov 2;7(11):e1000362.
144. Belser JA, Lu X, Szretter KJ, et al. DAS181, a novel sialidase fusion protein, protects mice from lethal avian influenza H5N1 virus infection. J Infect Dis. 2007 Oct 31;196(10):1493-9.
145. Moscona A, Porotto M, Palmer S, et al. A recombinant sialidase fusion protein effectively inhibits human parainfluenza viral infection in vitro and in vivo. J Infect Dis. 2010 Jul 15;202(2):234-41.
146. Wu C, Chen W, Chen J, H. Preparation of monoPEGylated Cyanovirin-N's derivative and its anti-influenza A virus bioactivity in vitro and in vivo. J Biochem. 2015 Jun;157(6):539-48.
147. Švančarová P, Svetlíková D, Betáková T. Induction of interferon lambda in influenza a virus infected cells treated with shRNAs against M1 transcript. Acta Virol. 2015 Jun;59(2):148-55.
148. Furuta Y, Gowen BB, Takahashi K, et al. Favipiravir (T-705), a novel viral RNA polymerase inhibitor. Antiviral Res. 2013 Nov;100(2):446-54.
149. Beigel J, Bray M. Current and future antiviral therapy of severe seasonal and avian influenza. Antiviral Res. 2008 Apr;78(1):91-102.
150. Jones S, Evans K, McElwaine-Johnn H, et al. DNA vaccination protects against an influenza challenge in a double-blind randomised placebo-controlled phase 1b clinical trial. Vaccine. 2009 Apr 21;27(18):2506-12.
151. Smith LR, Wloch MK, Ye M, et al. Phase 1 clinical trials of the safety and immunogenicity of adjuvanted plasmid DNA vaccines encoding influenza A virus H5 hemagglutinin. Vaccine. 2010 Mar 16;28(13):2565-72.
152. Influenza Vaccine 2007-2008. Med Lett Drugs Ther. 2007 Oct 8;49(1271):81-3.
153. GBD 2017 Influenza Collaborators. Mortality, morbidity, and hospitalisations due to influenza lower respiratory tract infections, 2017: an analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Lancet Respir Med. 2018 Dec 12;7(1):69-89.
154. Schwarzmann SW, Adler JL, Sullivan RJ Jr, et al. Bacterial pneumonia during the Hong Kong influenza epidemic of 1968-1969. Arch Intern Med. 1971 Jun;127(6):1037-41.
155. Newland JG, Laurich VM, Rosenquist AW, et al. Neurologic complications in children hospitalized with influenza: characteristics, incidence, and risk factors. J Pediatr. 2007 Mar;150(3):306-10.
156. Winther B, Block SL, Reisinger K, et al. Impact of oseltamivir treatment on the incidence and course of acute otitis media in children with influenza. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010 Jun;74(6):684-8.
157. Casey JR, Pichichero ME. Changes in frequency and pathogens causing acute otitis media in 1995-2003. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2004 Sep;23(9):824-8.
158. Gamboa ET, Eastwood AB, Hays AP, et al. Isolation of influenza virus from muscle in myoglobinuric polymyositis. Neurology. 1979 Oct;29(10):1323-35.
159. Dell KM, Schulman SL. Rhabdomyolysis and acute renal failure in a child with influenza A infection. Pediatr Nephrol. 1997 Jun;11(3):363-5.
160. Dietzman DE, Schaller JG, Ray CG, et al. Acute myositis associated with influenza B infection. Pediatrics. 1976 Feb;57(2):255-8.
161. Brinar VV, Habek M, Brinar M, et al. The differential diagnosis of acute transverse myelitis. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2006 Mar;108(3):278-83.
162. Ropper AH. The Guillain-Barré syndrome. N Engl J Med. 1992 Apr 23;326(17):1130-6.
163. MacDonald K, Osterholm M, Hedberg C, et al. Toxic shock syndrome: a newly recognized complication of influenza and influenza-like illness. JAMA. 1987 Feb 27;257(8):1053-8.
164. US Food & Drug Administration. FDA warns of fraudulent and unapproved flu products. March 2018 [internet publication].
Use of this content is subject to our disclaimer