Approach

Presentation after plant poisoning depends entirely on the specific plant consumed. In general, large quantities of the plant need to be consumed (or the plant needs to be concentrated into an extract or brewed into a tea) in order to affect symptoms. Clinicians should make every effort to identify the involved plant, but treatment should focus on presenting symptoms rather than expected or anticipated consequences of plant consumption.[33][34] Asymptomatic patients who present for evaluation after consuming a potentially poisonous plant should be observed for several hours after ingestion, and efforts should be made to correctly identify the plant. Some highly toxic plants may require more intensive evaluation and observation (e.g., poison or water hemlock, lily of the valley, autumn crocus, Glory lily, mayapple, jequirity bean, yew leaves).

BMJ Best Practice is an evidence-based point of care tool for healthcare practitioners.

To continue reading and access all of BMJ Best Practice's pages you'll need to log in or start a free trial.

You can access through your institution if your hospital, university, trust or other institution provides access to BMJ Best Practice through either OpenAthens or Shibboleth.

Use of this content is subject to our disclaimer