If you want to improve your understanding of statistics, BMJ Learning has a couple of online modules on the subject.
BMJ Learning provides high-quality CME/CPD and postgraduate training for doctors and other healthcare professionals. It features hundreds of accredited, peer-reviewed learning modules in text, video, and audio formats.
Access is available either by personal or organizational subscription. BMJ Learning is also available free of charge to BMA members.
The statistics modules include:
This BMJ Learning module will help you understand:
- That the same trial results can be presented in different ways
- The strengths and weaknesses of using ratios and differences to describe results
- How to calculate a number needed to treat (NNT) from published papers.
Understanding statistics 2: is there a significant difference?
This BMJ Learning module will help you to:
- Appreciate when the results of a trial are statistically significant
- Understand the difference between P values and confidence intervals
- Determine whether an important difference has been excluded between the treatment and control arms of a trial.