- A leading cause of visual loss and blindness that frequently affects young people.
- Worldwide, there are approximately 1.6 million people blind from eye injuries, 2.3 million with bilateral visual impairment, and 19 million with unilateral visual loss.
- The injuries may be due to mechanical trauma (blunt or penetrating), chemical agents, or ultraviolet and ionising radiations.
- In the absence of severe ocular compromise, most conservative treatments for standard eye complaints produce healing within 48 to 72 hours.
- It is important to make the public aware of the benefits of using protective equipment because most eye injuries are preventable.
Last updated: Jun 12, 2012