- Rare familial nephropathy due to abnormalities in type IV collagen.
- May be inherited in 1 of 3 patterns: X-linked, autosomal recessive, or autosomal dominant.
- Associated with considerable clinical variability of age of onset of chronic renal failure. Frequently associated with sensorineural hearing loss.
- Female carriers of X-linked mutations have a significant lifetime risk of developing HTN and renal disease.
- Strong genotype-phenotype correlations in X-linked Alport's syndrome have been described in male patients.
- Monitoring and treatment of renal disease is the main treatment.
Other related conditions
- Chronic renal failure
- Assessment of proteinuria
- Uterine fibroids
- IgA nephropathy
- Overview of pregnancy complications
- Anaemia of chronic disease
- Assessment of hyperkalaemia
- Assessment of hearing loss
- Assessment of microscopic haematuria
- Assessment of gross haematuria
- Assessment of nephrotic syndrome
- Renal artery stenosis
- Graft-versus-host disease
Last updated: Oct 11, 2012