- Common condition affecting up to 10% of the population, particularly older institutionalised people.
- The pathogenesis is often multifactorial with local, anatomical, or systemic disorders potentially contributing.
- There is a significant response to conservative therapy and appropriate support.
- For those who do not respond to conservative treatment, investigation by a consultant specialist is recommended to determine underlying aetiology.
- Surgical options include anterior sphincter repair and neosphincter formation.
Other related conditions
Last updated: Apr 09, 2013