- Hypersensitivity reaction to Aspergillus fumigatus mould that has colonised bronchi of patients with asthma or cystic fibrosis.
- Exposure of atopic people to fungal spore elements results in the formation of IgE and IgG antibodies.
- Presents as asthma complicated by bronchial obstruction, fever, malaise, expectoration of brownish mucus plugs, peripheral blood eosinophilia, and haemoptysis.
- Treatment involves environmental control measures, corticosteroids, and itraconazole.
- Early detection and treatment can prevent the development of bronchiectasis or pulmonary fibrosis that otherwise occurs in the later stages of the disease.
Last updated: Sep 28, 2012