- Occurs when excessive valgus stresses or external rotation forces are placed on the knee joint.
- Most common symptom is medial-sided knee pain above or below the joint line. Patients are usually able to walk.
- Diagnosis and grading is primarily done with history-taking and physical examination.
- Most patients are treated non-operatively.
- Prognosis for isolated medial collateral ligament injuries is good. Most patients return to sports within 3 to 6 weeks and to pre-injury levels within 3 months.
- Combined multi-ligament and chronic medial collateral ligament injuries often require operative intervention.
Last updated: Apr 26, 2013