- Usually occurs as a result of high-energy trauma (e.g., road traffic accidents, falls from heights).
- May occur spontaneously in patients with osteoporotic, neoplastic, or metabolic disorders of the spine.
- Initial on-the-scene evaluation involves ABC assessment with C-spine immobilisation and haemorrhage control.
- It is important to evaluate and assess thoracolumbar fractures for instability.
- If the decision to operate is made, this should occur earlier rather than later.
ultimo aggiornamento: ott 12, 2012