- Characterised by reduced lactase concentration in the mucosal brush border of the small intestine (also known as hypolactasia).
- Exists in 4 distinct forms: primary, secondary, congenital, and developmental.
- Symptoms can be gastrointestinal and/or systemic.
- Current standard biochemical diagnostic test is the lactose hydrogen breath test.
- Treatment includes reduction or elimination of dietary lactose.
- If elimination of lactose is necessary, alternative calcium sources are required.
Otras enfermedades relacionadas
- Coeliac disease
- Viral gastroenteritis
- Viral gastroenteritis in children
- Assessment of acute diarrhoea
- Assessment of chronic diarrhoea
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Assessment of eosinophilia
- Tropical sprue
- Carcinoid syndrome
- Cystic fibrosis
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
- Failure to thrive
Actualizado por última vez: ene 09, 2013