- Occurs when noxious stimuli such as heat, gases, or particulate matter come into contact with the respiratory system.
- Residential fires and workplace accidents are common events that lead to inhalation injury.
- Pathophysiology includes thermal injury, systemic absorption of toxic compounds, and direct cellular injury.
- Clinical manifestations include upper airway obstruction, carbon monoxide poisoning, airflow obstruction, and acute respiratory distress syndrome.
- Therapy is largely supportive, although targeted therapies are the subject of active investigation.
- Long-term sequelae and complications are common.
Last updated: Oct 22, 2012