- Characterised by repetitive apnoeas or hypopnoeas with absent or diminished respiratory effort during sleep, occurring more than 5 times per hour.
- Important to search for underlying disorders such as CHF, renal failure, stroke, brainstem lesions, acromegaly, hypothyroidism, or narcotic use.
- Presence portends a poorer prognosis for CHF patients.
- Management of the underlying disorder may suffice to resolve the condition.
- Presenting symptoms may be the same as with other sleep-related breathing disorders. The disorder may be asymptomatic, observed by a partner, or detected on testing.
- A polysomnogram is required for diagnosis.
Last updated: Jan 16, 2013