- Chronic inflammatory disorder of the eyelids and associated adnexal structures.
- Significant cause of discomfort, causing foreign body sensation, burning, itching, and crusting around eyelashes.
- Typical findings include lid erythema, collarettes around eyelashes, and capped meibomian glands.
- In severe cases, corneal changes, including neovascularisation, scarring, ulceration, and perforation, can lead to visual impairment.
- Treatment is directed at maintaining eyelid hygiene and may require use of topical corticosteroids and topical or oral antibiotics.
- Treatment of associated or underlying medical conditions is essential for successful management of blepharitis.
Last updated: Aug 22, 2012