- Variable presenting features including chronic cough, weight loss, and fevers.
- Increased incidence in patients with underlying lung disease, heavy smoking, and excessive alcohol consumption.
- HIV-infected patients with CD4 cell count <50 cells/microlitre also at increased risk of infection.
- Diagnosis of pulmonary disease in non-HIV-infected individuals requires repeated isolation of the organism from respiratory secretions, in addition to compatible symptoms and radiographic presentation.
- Combination treatment with at least 2 drugs is essential.
Last updated: Apr 22, 2013