- History of heavy alcohol use and either reduction or cessation of drinking prior to presentation.
- Can present as tremors, nausea, and sleep disturbance, to severe symptoms such as auditory and visual hallucinations, seizures, and confusion.
- It is a clinical diagnosis.
- May progress to delirium tremens with seizures, hallucinations, coma, and death.
- Benzodiazepines remain the cornerstone of treatment.
- Complications from treatment include sedation from high doses of benzodiazepines.
Last updated: Apr 23, 2013