- A urological emergency caused by the twisting of the testicle on the spermatic cord leading to constriction of the vascular supply and time-sensitive ischaemia and/or necrosis of testicular tissue.
- High index of suspicion is important to ensure timely diagnosis and management.
- A history and physical examination consistent with testicular torsion mandates an immediate urological consultation for surgical repair.
- If history and physical examination suggest testicular torsion, immediate surgical consultation and exploration should take precedence over diagnostic tests.
- Usually affects young males but may affect males of any age.
Last updated: Oct 11, 2012