- Children with autism have social communication difficulties and show repetitive, obsessional, and/or perfectionistic behaviours.
- Disordered behaviour is present before 3 years of age; delayed single-word or phrase speech is required for diagnosis.
- Boys are affected more frequently than girls.
- Children with autism frequently have low IQ; approximately one third of children with autism have epilepsy.
- Long-term outcome in adulthood is variable; the majority of people live either in 24-hour care or with community support.
Last updated: Nov 26, 2012