- Perception of sound in the absence of any external auditory stimulus.
- Sounds may be described as ringing, humming, buzzing, hissing, clicking, or pulsing.
- May occur intermittently or constantly.
- Diagnosis is based on clinical evaluation and audiometry. There may be a role for additional studies, such as auditory brainstem responses, otoacoustic emissions, and neuroimaging.
- Treatment is challenging as tinnitus is a symptom, not a disease. Thus intervention depends on treating the underlying cause.
Last updated: May 02, 2013