- Tapeworms belong to the Platyhelminthes phylum. Subclasses include the Pseudophyllidea and Cyclophyllidea genera.
- Humans can be definitive or intermediate hosts.
- Extraintestinal manifestations include cystercercosis (can affect any organ), hydatidosis (can affect any organ but typically the liver and lungs), and neurocysticercosis (affecting the CNS).
- Presentation is variable and is dependent on size, location, and condition of the cyst.
- Diagnosis is made by stool examination and serology. Radiology may be necessary for extraintestinal manifestations.
- Intestinal infection is treated with antihelminthics only.
- Extraintestinal infection may require surgical intervention.
Last updated: Jan 28, 2013