- A common valvular heart condition.
- One or both leaflets of the mitral valve prolapse into the left atrium during systole.
- Diagnosis established by clinical examination and echocardiogram.
- Usually follows a benign course with a favourable prognosis.
- Uncommonly, serious complications occur such as infective endocarditis, severe mitral regurgitation, or sudden cardiac death. Patients at increased risk identifiable by clinical and echocardiographical features.
- Mitral valve repair is the preferred treatment option in patients with mitral valve prolapse and severe mitral regurgitation.
Sist oppdatert: apr 20, 2012