- Dog, cat, and human bites are the most common bites requiring medical attention.
- Description of the circumstances surrounding the bite (i.e., type and behaviour of animal) is essential.
- Surgical exploration is important, particularly in wounds that are deep or wide or that potentially involve deep anatomical structures.
- Cultures may be helpful if signs of infection are present.
- Antibiotics are recommended for infected animal bites and, in certain circumstances, non-infected animal bites.
Last updated: Apr 09, 2013