- A degenerative joint disorder; prevalence increases with age.
- Most commonly affected joints are the knee, hip, hands, and lumbar and cervical spine.
- Presents with joint pain and stiffness that is typically worse with activity.
- Radiographs show loss of joint space, subchondral sclerosis, and osteophytes.
- Treatments are non-pharmacological and pharmacological.
- Joint replacement surgery is effective for controlling the pain of osteoarthritis in advanced disease.
Last updated: Dec 06, 2012