- Heterogeneous group of muscular disorders characterised by progressive muscle weakness.
- Presentation is sub-acute or chronic and rarely acute.
- May be associated with dysphagia, fatigue, difficulties with breathing, and skin lesions.
- Diagnosis is confirmed by elevated serum muscle-derived enzymes, typical electromyography (EMG) findings, and inflammation on muscle biopsy.
- Corticosteroids are first-line therapy. Intravenous immunoglobulin, methotrexate, and azathioprine are used as second-line therapy. Third-line therapies include cyclophosphamide, mycophenolate, ciclosporin, and tacrolimus.
Last updated: Oct 15, 2012