- Generally a disease of middle and older age.
- Carries increased risks of thrombosis, haemorrhage, myelofibrosis, and acute leukaemia.
- Diagnosis is strongly associated with the presence of the JAK2V617F mutation, although this mutation is not specific for polycythaemia vera.
- Treatment is based on stratification for risk of thrombosis, but includes low-dose aspirin and phlebotomy for most patients. High-risk patients also receive cytoreductive therapy.
- Ongoing and future studies will be required to further define disease aetiology and appropriate therapy.
ultimo aggiornamento: nov 23, 2012