- An acute inflammation of the oral mucosa following systemic chemotherapy and/or radiation to fields involving the oral cavity.
- Clinical presentation ranges from a general erythematous stomatitis to erosive lesions and overt ulceration. Lesions are often very painful, compromise nutrition and oral hygiene, and increase risk of local and systemic infection.
- If severe, may warrant an undesirable chemotherapy dose-reduction and/or a break in radiotherapy.
- Treatment is symptomatic and includes oral hygiene and pain control.
- Preventive treatments include palifermin and use of ice-chips during chemotherapy infusion therapy.
Última atualização: Dez 17, 2012