- Characterised by an excessive fear of social and performance situations where the individual is afraid of being embarrassed or negatively evaluated by others.
- One of the most common and impairing mental disorders with a high risk for comorbid anxiety, depressive, and substance-use/abuse-related disorders.
- Assessment is based on self-reporting, clinical interview, and behavioural observation.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, and cognitive behavioural therapy are considered the first-line treatments.
- Long-term clinical management and monitoring are typically required, as patients are prone to relapse following discontinuation of acute treatment.
ultimo aggiornamento: dic 07, 2012